Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dear Miss Manners...

The past week has been chalk full of displays that have been nothing short of shocking. I find myself having the same argument in my head which consists of Left Brain asking Right Brain, "Why do you even care?"

Manners.

I was brought up in a house where the salad fork was to the left of the dinner fork and the dessert spoon was above the plate above the soup spoon. Not everyone had this luxury. And no, I'm not a snob. My parents wanted to make sure my sister and I could go out to nice dinners, whether in regular or professional life and be able to hold our own regardless of company.

I learned that the terms "Please" and "Thank you" are more powerful in a formal setting, than knowing the state of Wall Street. And that when the most well-to-do woman in the office comes in wearing an atrocious outfit, the last thing you do is stare. Lastly, when someone of importance and authority is speaking, you do not, under any circumstances interrupt, but rather listen carefully, wait your turn, and then voice your opinion in a calm and collected manner.

These are all basic skills (yes, skills) that I was brought up to believe everyone knew.

Rep. Joe Wilson's famous outburst on the House floor last week shocked me for no other reason than it put a callous man with no respect for his Commander in Chief on display for the whole country to see and possibly support. And support is what he gained. My disgust has little to do with his views on health care and everything to do with his views of the Presidential Office. How can anyone support a man who is so rude and scathing. What kind of a role model does that create for America's youth?

I do not care if you are a Republican, a Democrat, an Independent. I could care less if you are liberal or conservative, rich or poor. But the future of this country and the future of our democracy rests on the principle of respect; the foundation of our government was not laid by who could shout the loudest, but on freedom of choice and freedom to say what is on your mind. Joe Wilson should have understood that a Presidential address to a joint session of Congress was no place for him to make his voice heard.

I sat through 2 State of the Unions under President Clinton and likewise 7 State of the Union addresses by George W. Bush. While the President stood before a joint session of Congress and cast blame on the wrong country which sparked an international conflict and put the United States of America's reputation on the line, Congress still had the respect to listen.

Shame on you, Joe Wilson.

Shame on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment